When a person loses their capacity or is a minor, a guardian may need to be appointed for the management of that person and their property.  There are two types of guardianships in Oklahoma.  Under guardianship of the person, the court grants the authority to make decisions regarding the ward’s care. Under guardianship of the property, the court grants the power to manage the ward’s finances and assets.  A Durable Power of Attorney document is a less expensive alternative to a guardianship; however, it must be signed before the person loses capacity.  Our attorneys are available to discuss whether a guardianship is necessary and to explore any alternatives to guardianship.